A conversation with Kris Schumacher

A conversation with Kris Schumacher

Written on 03/08/2020
by Pierre

NAME: Kris Schumacher

CITY: NYC

HASHTAG BIO:  #sustainabletreefarming #responsiblelandmanagement #sustainableagriculture

BACKGROUND FACTS:  Kris‘s family has been involved in farming since the 1800’s, both in the Mid-West and in Germany. He was raised ‘off the grid’ on a sustainable tree farm in Rhode Island, where he developed a deep appreciation for responsible land management and sustainable agriculture. For the past 20+ years, he has worked in a wide range professional roles with start-ups and large corporations, with a particular interest for social impact driven organisations. See Kris's Portrait.

What does mindfulness mean to you?

To me, mindfulness is about stepping back from everyday challenges and seeing the forest for the trees

How did you first start your journey to mindfulness?

My journey started 35 years ago when I moved with my parents to the middle of the forest, where I worked with my father restoring the native woodlands and where I learned to be at peace with myself and with nature.

What are you the most proud of, so far?

Of course I'm proud of my children and how they are growing up so far, which is the most important project that I'm involved with.

Aside from them, I have a lot of projects in the works but I would say that I am proud of the portfolio of social-impact start ups which I contributed to create. 

What would you like to be remembered for?

Being someone who is a selfless helper.

Any recommendations for books?

. "The hidden life of trees" - Peter Wohlleben

If you were an animal, a plant or anything else than a Human Being ... What would you be?

I would probably be an owl, so that I could fly in the forest at night.

Is there anything you want to ask to the Community?

If anyone is interested in contributing to my long term project, please feel free to reach out.I am looking for partners that can help me redeveloping my 100 acre tree farm into a agroforestry research center & retreat center for social and environmentally focused startups

Let’s finish with 3 words. Your own three words...

Oak, Family, Ideas